Nick Kyrgios dishes on Alex de Minor’s ‘feud’ after Australian Open withdrawal

Nick Kyrgios has addressed rumors of a feud between him and fellow Australian Alex De Minor.  Pic: Getty

Nick Kyrgios has addressed rumors of a feud between him and fellow Australian Alex De Minor. Pic: Getty

Nick Kyrgios has set the record straight about his relationship with compatriot Alex de Minor, amid reports of a “feud” between the two Australian tennis stars. de minor Australian Open Championship The tournament began with a straight sets win over Yu Hsiou Hsu on Tuesday night, a day later Kyrgios threw a bomb by pulling out From the Grand Slam with a knee injury.

Last week de Minaur dodged reporters’ questions about an apparent rift with Kyrgios after expressing frustration with his fellow Australian pulling out of recent team events for Australia. Kyrgios chose to compete in an exhibition event in Saudi Arabia at the end of last year, rather than represent Australia in the Davis Cup.

‘silly’: Murray stuns Berrettini in the Australian Open scenes

cruel: The Aus Open is rocked by ball-kid drama as unfair heat stops play

bad truth: Nick Kyrgios is being criticized for the details of the withdrawal

The 27-year-old also pulled out of the Nations Cup in Sydney at the last minute, citing issues with a knee complaint that ultimately ended his Australian Open hopes. De Minaur admitted he was frustrated after trying to get Kyrgios to represent Australia in the past, to no avail.

While de Minaur was careful to deflect questions about his relationship with Kyrgios before the tournament kicked off, the latter opened up in interviews with Wide World of Sports and The Sydney Morning Herald on Tuesday. Putting to bed ugly speculation about a “feud” with De Minaur, Kyrgios insisted the two Australian stars had been friends for many years.

“Demon (De Minor) and I have a very special relationship,” Kyrgios said. “I still remember he was the orange boy for the Australian Davis Cup team (back in 2015) and I was the one who said ‘I’ll bat with him’ when the tie was over.

“So Satan and I have a great relationship.” Kyrgios revealed that his compatriot was quick to come and offer his condolences on Monday when news broke that he had to withdraw from the Australian Open.

Kyrgios revealed, “I saw him yesterday and he came up to me and said, ‘I’m sorry about everything and I hope your body is okay. ‘” I respect all of these guys so it’s not really a big deal when I read that Demon and I are in a feud or anything like that. He’s one of my closest touring buddies and always will be.”

Nick Kyrgios questioned about Australian Open withdrawal

After Kyrgios’ woeful withdrawal on Monday, Australian tennis star Todd Woodbridge wondered if he had planned his schedule properly at the Grand Slams this year. The great couple suggested that rest and recuperation was better for the 27-year-old than competing in the Saudi exhibition event.

In the wake of criticism over the nature of his late withdrawal from Melbourne Park, Australian national Jelena Dokic jumped to Kyrgios’ defense on Tuesday. The Channel 9 commentator said Kyrgios made the right decision and risked further self-harm if he pressed on with the pain.

“I don’t think he actually had any choice, because I don’t think he can play on the knee,” Dokic told Channel Nine. “I don’t think it was about protecting him, I think it was about the fact that he wasn’t really able to go out and play.

“He certainly wasn’t in good enough shape to do that. A wise decision.”

Pictured on the right is former tennis player Jelena Dokic and fellow Australian Nick Kyrgios on the left.

Former tennis player Jelena Dokic has defended Nick Kyrgios over his late decision to withdraw from the Australian Open. (Getty Images)

Kyrgios and his doctor revealed that the Australian star has a cyst growing on his left meniscus, which will require arthroscopic surgery. He took to social media to explain how difficult it was to make the call.

“Trust me, my heart is broken,” Kyrgios said on Twitter Monday night. “But I’m at the table on Monday to fix the problem, I’ll be back!”

Kyrgios revealed that his knee complaint had left him agonizing over whether or not he should play in the Australian Open, and that the decision to withdraw came as a form of relief. The 27-year-old will undergo knee surgery and is targeting a return at Indian Wells in March.

“Obviously I’ve been on my mind for the past week. It was very hard to wake up not knowing if I was going to play, if I wasn’t going to play. I was in pain,” Kyrgios said. But now I feel like I have a clear path forward, which is life honestly, I’ve been through a lot more struggle than this. It’s sad but at the same time I’m happy.”

with agencies

click here To sign up for our newsletter to get the latest breaking news from Australia and around the world.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *